For the cake:
1 box Best Choice® Devils Food Cake Mix
1 1/3 cups Water
1/2 cup Best Choice® Vegetable Oil
3 Best Choice® Eggs
1 tbsp Best Choice® Imitation Almond Extract
Best Choice® Non-Stick Cooking Spray
1 cup Best Choice® Cherry Preserves
1/4 cup Water
16 oz Best Choice® Frozen Dark Sweet Cherries, pitted and halved
4 cups Best Choice® Heavy Whipping Cream
1 cup Best Choice® Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Best Choice® Vanilla Extract
1 cup Best Choice® Sliced Almonds, toasted (1 tablespoon reserved)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9×13 cake pan generously with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Prepare cake mix as directed on box. When mixing all the ingredients for the cake mix, also add one tbsp of almond extract.
3. Pour the cake mix into the cake pan and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
4. While the cake is cooling, heat the cherry preserves with 1/4 cup of water in a small saucepan, until the preserves have liquefied. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Set aside.
6. To assemble the trifle, cut the cake into 1-inch squares. Place a layer of cake squares in the bottom of a trifle dish or large glass bowl and drizzle with the 1/4 cup of the cherry preserve sauce. Spread 1 cup of whipped cream evenly over the cake. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the halved cherries and 2 tbsp of sliced almonds on top of the cream. Add a 2nd layer of cake, followed by the sauce, cream, cherries and almonds. Continue building the trifle until you have at least 3 layers of cake and cream, finishing with the whipped cream layer. Sprinkle 1tbsp of the reserved almonds on top of the whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.